Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The F Word....


I have mother's guilt and it involves the F word.

No, no, it's not THAT word.

In fact, I can say that word a little easier than I can say this F word.

I will give you two clues:

1. it is liquid

2. Ella has not needed it until yesterday.

Yup, FORMULA is my f word.

Now, I know there is nothing wrong with formula. In fact, I had a really open mind when I became a new mom. I had a really great perspective. I was going to try to nurse and take it day by day. Days went by and the pain subsided, I could wear a shirt again, and nursing became so easy. My goal of getting through the day grew into month by month goals then making it to 12 months. And I was doing REALLY well; we made it 10 months and 7 days. And then for some unknown reason, production stopped. Maybe it was the bad bite (OUCH!), the trip to Florida and the time change, or maybe it was just time.

So, yesterday for the first time ever, I had to supplement with formula. And like many things such as returning to work, talking about it was far worse than actually doing it. Ella devoured her 2/3 breast milk bottle and 1/3 formula based bottle in no time and we all survived.

Besides, she can't BF forever; that would be weird!

3 comments:

  1. I am extremely impressed that you made it this long while also working full time- you are my hero! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you Becky! I'm sure it's the combination of all those things PLUS she's eating solids now...The important thing is that she gets fed! You have made an incredible difference in her life by breast feeding her all these months. Keep up the good work! ( things that helped my production: pumping through a second let down, increase h20, oatmeal every morning.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done an amazing job! Especially with working FT and pumping...what a trooper! I'm so impressed Ella took it so well.

    ReplyDelete