Thursday, December 13, 2012

Oh Flock!



For most people Black Friday means shopping for deals at the local mall with other sleep-deprived people.  I did that once and all I bought were dish towels that I later returned, so I don't really understand.  For me, Black Friday officially starts the Christmas season with the purchase of our tree. For those that know me, you know that I am already knee-deep in Christmas planning: presents, cookie exchanges, Christmas cards, and of course, the girls' outfits.  But the tree is the first decoration to go up, the first sign that the Christmas season has begun. Then starts the music.  Oh, the music, the music, the music!

 I love a good tree! Last year we bought this beauty of a Christmas tree.




It will go down as the best (and most expensive) tree, ever.  Seriously.  The New Yorker in me says the tree was not really that expensive since I recall my father paying near $100 every year for a fresh tree years and years (and years) ago  The Oregonian in me says that the tree was an arm and a leg, especially since we probably have 15 tree farms within a 3 mile radius of our house.  Last year we were lured to a Black Friday tree sale for the half off deal (and the complimentary mochas didn't hurt).  We chose a gorgeous tree, the best they had to offer.  I wanted it flocked. Of course I did.  Little did we know that when you have it flocked, you have it delivered.  So, our $45 "bargain" of a tree turned into a $185 beauty.  I swear, it was the nicest tree in all of Oregon.   That story will follow me forever.


This year I came to my senses.  I vowed to not flock the tree.  As usual, we chose the best tree in the lot.  It is gorgeous and tall and green.  And it was a steal at $35.



And although I love my tree, I have a hunch that we have not had our last flocked tree.   
Notice all the ornaments toward the top.  That was strategic and due in part that all of the ornaments on the bottom of the tree have been broken. 





No comments:

Post a Comment