Friday, February 26, 2010

No One Told Me...

No one told me the down and dirty of pregnancy, childbirth, and motherhood.  Just as well, I would not have believed it, nor did I care to ask.  In my mind, ignorance was bliss and it worked for me.  And anyways, I would do it all over again and someday I hope to.

Now that many of my besties are moms or soon-to be moms, we have had some very candid conversations.  Conversations you could only have with your best buds.  Not that I would share them on a public forum or anything, but a recent discussion (via e-mail, of course) occurred regarding nursing and our embarassing moments.  And I have a few stories.

1.  At 4 months post-partum we left Missy Moo with Grandma for the day to watch the Mariners play the Yankees.  This meant an entire day away from her and that meant lost of pumping.  I pumped in the car both there and back and during the middle of the game, right smack dab in my seat WHILE sitting next to my father-in-law and an arms reach away from my brother-in-law!  I don't think I would have the nerve to do that again, but trust me, there is NO private place at a park stadium and when a nursing mom needs to pump, she NEEDS to pump!

2.  I forgot to lock the door fully to the family bathroom in the airport.  There I was sitting on my luggage  and I think I gave that poor older lady the shock of her life!

3a.  Being back at work and pumping has been fine, but I have had two close calls.  My door, like the doors of all teachers, are constantly locked.  Plus, I have a PLEASE KNOCK sign on my door.  (All the yahoo kids knock while passing by my door several times a day; it is really annoying).  Regardless, my principal let himself in one day and was 30 seconds shy of seeing more than he bargained for.  Now that would have been uncomfortable!

3b.  Apparently my sign is ineffective.  The hall monitor unlocked the door, without knocking, to let in a student who need to get his belongings as he was going home sick.  Luckily, I had the sense to drop to the floor and hide behind my desk.  I then made up some crazy story that I dropped something.  Being a sixth grader, he did not ask nor did he seem to care.

So, let this be a warning, if a door says PLEASE KNOCK, you really should!

1 comment:

  1. These close calls made me chuckle... and made me really appreciate your perseverance in nursing so long! I would have given up ages ago... like I did with my own kids. :)

    ReplyDelete