Sunday, February 7, 2010

I Did Not Play Hooky, I Swear, but it Sure Felt That Way!

I called in sick on Friday. I would have called in with a no voice but I feel fine excuse, but that is not an option on Subfinder. Besides having no voice, I felt perfect except every time I tried to use my voice box, even in the littlest squeak, my throat felt raw. Never before has this happened to me so it was beyond weird and I have no idea how it happened. Well, that is not true. Maybe I nagged my students so much for not having their homework this week that I lost my voice. That very well could be it. I was a world-class nagger, but they SO deserved it considering 22 out of 61 students turned in their first assignment of the semester!

I used my kinda sick day to the fullest. Ella was at Grandma and Grandpa's and since Aunt Lucille was coming over to visit, I decided to get things done. And boy, did I ever!

1. I went to school to get ready for the sub. My kids were pretty sweet and very concerned that I had no voice. It made me want to spend the day with them even though I could not talk. I think they would have been very well behaved.

2. I came home and made a grocery list that basically consisted of veggies for Ella's meals and stew ingredients.

3. I went to the grocery store. I did not have to carry a baby on my hip and thus could run in and out in 10 minutes. That was nice.

4. I unpacked groceries and did a quick clean up of the house.



5. I went to the mall. I browsed through Pottery Barn, looked at Sears for patio furniture, went to Nordstroms to look at shoes for Ella and bought myself a shirt (how did that happen?), had a blast at the Disney Store, and bought cards at Hallmark.







6. Grabbed a latte at Starbucks and then went to Barnes and Noble. I bought myself a book, SARAH'S KEYS, and Ella two books because I felt guilty for not being with her.

7. Then I went to Aaron Brother's frame store to purchase a frame for my college degree that I earned in 2001 and will finally hang.

All this was done by 1 pm. I was on the go and it was great. I have not accomplished so much ramming since last May and although I enjoyed it, I don't miss it. Ella and I had a fabulous remainder of the day. She did all the talking and I did all the listening. My voice is not back to normal, but much better. Hopefully my kiddos have their homework tomorrow or else we are all in for it!

1 comment:

  1. That is called a Mental Health Day and you need one of those every once in a while. It helps you be a better teacher and Mom!!

    ReplyDelete