Saturday, July 13, 2013

Our Free $92 Project

Today was a day of errands.  We were up and out early so I could make an 8 am Barre class.  From there we had to hit Target for odds and ends, Costco for groceries and, Lakeshore Learning for the last minute craft supplies needed for Vacation Bible School.

By our last stop the girls were hungry and spent.

I was dreading taking them into Lakeshore Learning.  That place is a mecca for craft supplies, educational activities, and all things fun.  I knew their little hands (and eyes) would be all over the place.  Unbeknownst to me, they offer a free craft on Saturdays.  Ella and Abby happily plunked down to work with Dot- Dots, gems, glue, markers, pom-poms, and other do-dads under the supervision of an employee.  It was an easy, east visit to the store I was dreading most. In fact, it was so easy I was able to grab a few items for at-home projects.

But, I should have known nothing is so easy.  We left the store with more supplies than needed and two gorgeous butterflies.  Ella threw her creation onto the driver's seat while I buckled Abby into her car seat.  Ready to go, I tried shutting my door.  It wouldn't shut and I could not figure it out.  An impatient Abby was protesting in the back, and the door would not close.  Ella had to go potty, and the door still would not close.  I began sweating, and the door would not close.  Heavens!



With Ryan being in China and my AAA membership lapsed, the only logical option was to renew my membership and pray that the issue was minor.  After renewing my membership, calling a friend, taking the girls to the potty, trying to close the door 15,000 times, and waiting on a bench, I noticed there was a shiny piece of something stuck in the actual lock-hook part of the door.  It was blocking that part from latching on to the car.  Using all the MacGyver skills I have (which is zero) I managed to sweep it out, but the door still would not close because a tiny fragment was still in the way.  Back to the bench to wait.  As my friend pulled up (thank you), I went to show her the problem and the door closed!  Doh.  And immediately then the AAA service appeared.

When Ella placed her craft onto my seat I think she knocked one of her gems into the door-latch space and it got lodged.  Don't ask me how because it seems pretty impossible to do, but I am sure the AAA LADY who came to rescue me got a good laugh at my inept abilities when it came to my car.  After all, a silly craft store jewel caused all sorts of chaos for this damsel in distress.

And that, my friends, is how our free craft turned into $92.00.

1 comment:

  1. This is one story you are going to be glad that you blogged about because everyone is getting such a chuckle over it. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but I hope you can laugh about it now.

    ReplyDelete