Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Expecting Abby... Part 1

Right before heading to the hospital on 5/6


5/6~ My birthday~ 
May 6 was supposed to be my last day at work even though my official due date was not until May 11.  However, when I woke up I had pain in my left side that made it difficult to shower.  I stayed home.  My body had been telling me for quite sometime that it was preparing for the baby, so I really thought that I would be having a birthday baby.  Contractions came and they were 8 minutes apart, not too painful, but I definitely could feel them.  Considering I had INTENSE back labor with Ella, I did not know what to really look for. 

 Eventually we left for the hospital around 10 am in the morning.  Ryan and I wanted to get there before the contractions got too close because they say labor is faster the second time around.  The last thing Ryan and I wanted was to deliver at home or on the side of the road and with our luck, that is exactly what would happen.   

A better angle of the big belly
 At the hospital they monitored me for hours in the triage room.  Baby's heartbeat was fantastic and sure enough I was contracting pretty close together and regularly.  All the while I was able to converse with the triage nurse and Ryan.  However, for some reason or another, the nurse was concerned about the position of the baby and called in the doctor.  They used the ultrasound to determine that baby was lying posterior, which meant she was crooked.  Her head pointed towards my right hip.   As soon as they said this I cried.  Immediately in my head I heard the word c-section and was terrified.  However, they assured me that it was not a big deal and that most of the time these babies head on down as expected.  Then they discharged us because my contractions were between 5 minutes and lasting a long time, but it was not labor.  The nurse said she expected to see us later in the afternoon.  

Since it was my birthday and it was past lunchtime, we decided to grab a quick bite to eat.  I was MISERABLE.  My contractions were BAD and i thought for sure as soon as we finished lunch we would be back at the hospital, but then they stopped.  We headed home and unnecessarily canceled my birthday dinner out.  By then the contractions had stopped, and I was very uncomfortable (anyone would be with the big belly I had).    

 No birthday baby for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment