Saturday, June 25, 2011

Awaiting Abby.. Part 2


(Just to let you know, I was 98% finished with this post and then it disappeared.  As a result, I am slightly grumpy)

Background:
Baby number two was due on 5/11.
5/11 came and 5/11 went.  No baby.
Midwife started to talk induction.
I pushed for sooner rather than later since Ryan's time off was slowly ticking away.
Midwife reluctantly agreed to set induction date at 40 weeks 5 days even though she preferred to wait to 41 weeks.
I was relieved since I was large and in charge.
Everything was uncomfortable, especially sleeping.

The day Before:
On 5/15 we assumed it was Ella's last day being an only.  We spoiled her rotten and were on the go all day long ~Bagels at Noah's, Sesame Street Live, and take out pizza rounded out the day.  We were all exhausted.  Yet, I could not sleep; too many questions were running through my head.

Would baby be a boy or a girl?  Which name do I really prefer?  Grace or Molly or Abigail or Kate?  Luke Ryan or Luke Matthew?  How do you spell Matthew?  Would labor and delivery be as difficult as before?  Would I break my tailbone?  Would Ella do okay without me for two days?  Would I do okay without Ella?

The Day Of:
At 4:30 I awoke to my alarm. This time around I was determined to look decent for post-delivery pictures. I straightened my hair and applied full make-up.  Gosh, I was foolish.
This is the best I could do considering I was 40 weeks, 5 days pregnant, it was 5:40 in the morning and I hardly slept the night before.  

6:00 am 
I was hooked up and receiving pitocin by 7:30.  At this time I was dialated to a 4.  I had contractions all day long but no pain.  Baby was still high and lying crooked.  We walked and walked and walked.  We watched HGTV and more HGTV.  Meanwhile,  they turned the pitocin up higher than normal (usually they stop at 20, but I was up to 26).  The contractions kept coming, but I felt very little discomfort and I did not continue to dialate. Time passed.  The doctor started talking about failed inductions and I was devastated.   They considered this to be a "social induction" because it was not medically necessary.  At 9:30 pm they sent us home from the hospital.  I actually was not as upset as I thought I may be, by now I was tired.   They said they would be more agressive with our Wedesday induction because it was now considered a "medical induction" since baby was a week late.  Odd how 36 hours can make a difference.  We left tired, disappointed, and laughing... this would only happen to us. 

So they sent s home with a new induction date and time~  Wednesday, 8:30 am.   

No comments:

Post a Comment